This reproduction of the Liberty Bell is one of 53 cast in France in 1950. It stands at the west entrance to the Capitol. Given to the government by seven metal companies, they served as the inspirational symbol of the U.S. savings bonds drive. After the bond drive was completed, the replicas were presented to each state, as well as Alaska and Hawaii (which were not yet states), Washington D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
The dimensions and tone are identical to original Liberty Bell when it rang out in 1776.