Monday, July 14, 2008

Taking in Down


Probably 30 years ago, my husband and I went for a drive east up into the foothills not far from our house. We found ourselves on a dead end road through a section of forest that had been clearcut (logged off) and got out for a walk. When we returned to the truck, I noticed a little tree about 10" tall, growing in the gravel alongside the road where we'd parked. I pulled it up, stuck it in a bucket and brought it home. We then planted it in the middle of our backyard.

I think I knew it was a Douglas Fir, but had no idea that I would see it grow to over 80 feet tall. And it now loomed way too close to our house. It had a number of broken limbs from a wind storm a couple years ago and we've seen enough houses on the news cut in half by a fallen tree. So we decided to have it taken down today. This professional 'logger' made it look easy. After he worked his way up through the branches and took off the top 15 or so feet, he brought the rest down with one big earth-shaking thud. I have never witnessed a large tree being brought down so I found the whole process quite interesting to watch.

3 comments:

Chuck Pefley said...

Like watching an old friend pass away. Sad, but prudent. My condolences.

Thanks for your visits and comments.

Barbara said...

You have your photos to remember how beautful she was. Cheers from West Sacramento Photo of the Day.

Kate said...

Wow, That is some tree! We had to do the same thing in our backyard. Seems a bit naked after the two trees were gone. Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind remarks! I have lots of catching up to do!