Saturday, July 19, 2008

Salem Art Fair Craftsman



This is Alexander Anderson of Madrone Studio explaining how he made the curved door on this cabinet by a method known as "coopering". Alexander is a maker of fine furniture and custom cabinetry. He said his philosophy is to make use of wood from this local area and make as low impact as possible on the environment. He likes to use salvaged wood from demolished buildings, storm damaged trees, etc. You can read more about this interesting young man on his website http://www.madronestudio.com/.

What caught my eye was this exquisitely crafted table he made primarily from Madrone. Kim of SeattleDailyPhoto posted a close-up of the uniquely-colored bark of a Madrone tree. (We tend to call them Madrona in OR and WA.) You can also see photos and find out all about the Madrona {here}.

10 comments:

Ann Pablo-Bechet said...

"He likes to use salvaged wood from demolished buildings, storm damaged trees, etc..."

i think its a brilliant idea to use them as such. its much better than put them to waste.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

I like how he's found the character of the wood. That doesn't happen in mass production.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just came from Kim's who is featuring the tree itself. I think. Or was I here first and went there?

Anyway, never heard of this tree until today. It is a stunner.

I like the wood the man used to make his furniture. I like his joints in the piece. Almost like dovetail but squared with wafer thin segments between.

Nice post and very interesting links.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville Daily Photo

Profile Not Available said...

I agree with boise diva, he has done a great job of giving his pieces their own unique character.

Anonymous said...

I agree with boise diva...that doesnt happen in mass production!

Jim Klenke said...

He has a great website, I love the wall cabinet.

Wanda said...

Thanks for stopping by my post...

I'll be back to read up on your previous post...



A new friend
Wanda

Hilda said...

That table would have caught my eye too. I love wood and the texture and colors of this piece are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

My father told me who was also a timbermerchant that the wood work showing good fibre, grain on its surface is the best work.
Alexander table shows the same.
Congrats !
fyi :
Teakwood/BurmaTeak is a tree which got natural fibre, grain but is a very costly tree and may be these days not available or may be on a very very high prices.

Unknown said...

Jill, I always enjoy seeing you post. The Salem Art Fair is a favorite memory of mine, I enjoyed going with you many years ago. This young man is an inspiration, his work is beautiful.